With Love

With Love

Sunday, October 21, 2007

Process for poem of care

I used a number of different methods. I began the poem by just listing out the things that I "care" about and what I care about and what "care" means to me. To care for something is to have an emotion for something or in regard to something or someone, caring can have mixed feelings you can care nicely and you can care unkindly. But, to care for something implies an effort is being made. The mixed feelings idea sparked the recipe section, the list remains throughout the poem, the repetition of feeling and feeling in a particular way is ironic in that the feeling is lost when continually repeating feeling like, feeling so. And there is a sense of hysteria in the intensity of the feeling which is expressed through the repetition. Some sections are moments or memories of others that I have overheard in conversation. There are comments and segments of conversations that have had an impact on me and found their way out in my list of what I care about. All of this is thrown onto the page in no particular order or arrangement other than sandwiching the quotes and segments of conversations around the list.

No comments: