With Love

With Love

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Introduction after the poem "Spoons"

"Spoons" is a free association where I rocked around the idea of "a spoon full of sugar.." you all know the rest, and then the concept behind it. I have been kind of thinking about this idea for a few days. The idea that there are moments in life where things get "sugar coated" and there is such a great deal of effort put forth toward creating the ideal "how to" manual for life, or for anything that you could possibly imagine (ie How to be an Astronaut for Dummies {it must exist}). So i started thinking about all these forces, these invisible forces that try to tie us down to routine and regulation, to a recipe for life and for dreams, and how we have codes of ethics and morals that tell us what is right and wrong and good and bad yet these words are arbitrary, the words that I am writing now are arbitrary. But we give them meaning because why? Because we are programmed to? Well I think we are also hardwired to question these forces to just stop for a second and say "Wait a minute I am a Puppet" and that is pretty much what I did in "Spoons" I just let myself go and did what I could to develop, I suppose, an anti-recipe for what everyone knows is our life but cannot seem to define or change because it comes at you in such small measurements, one- spoon- at- a- time, that you don't notice it until your already buried. So I guess this is my attempt at digging myself a little skylight.

1 comment:

Kasey Mohammad said...

I like the intro as much as the poem. "How to Be an Astronaut for Dummies" and "digging myself a little skylight" are both great phrases, and if anything's missing from the poem itself, it's that sense of jumping the tracks and going off into the great wriggly wiggly underbrush where the real green slithery (rubber?) snakes are. I think it has to do with the syntax of the intro, which is both freer (i.e., more "natural," conversational) and more formal (because grammatically shaped rather than purely rhythmically).